Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Idle conversation

Last night, a chat-conversation with someone unknown from my friends-list. I did not know the person, and am pretty sure I never added her in the first place. When I randomly add people, it’s because they’re either part of some group that I’m interested in, or because they look interesting. The last is pretty incriminating, but, hey, who would I be kidding? It’s unfortunate that one’s profile picture doesn’t essay a character exegesis of its subject, but I’m not responsible for this misfortune – the system deems it fitting. Initially, the chat tottered on the brink of being rude. I said, who are you? She said, I don’t know, you tell me. I said, well, you added me. She said, I never did. I said, then how the hell are you here? She said, I don’t know, you tell me. That’s it. Closed it. Got pinged again – she said, why would I add you? I said, no idea. Closed it again. That’s when I thought I would ‘revise’ my friends-list, but she intervened. She said, anyway, it doesn’t matter. The rest of the conversation followed. The central problem is, a networking site can do this to you. It makes you vulnerable to people you wouldn’t expect, people who can ask you incredibly irrelevant questions and leave you dangling. It comes attached with a rude, brusque, unpleasant arrogance, an arrogance that leads you to delude yourself into presuming that you know people whose profiles you have access to. There are times when some of your friends in real life get cocksure because they think they know you inside-out, they gloss over your feelings, but you deal with it anyway, because they do, in fact, know you, and you like them. Imagine how repugnant it is when some mere profile picture with name attached presumes to act the same way.

4 comments:

The Diplomat's Daughter said...

Facebook is totally bizarre, of course. Its even worse for women - I used to get weird messages from guys who "wanted to make friendship"... Now I just avoid adding people I can't place or don't know. After all, how can they be 'friends' if they are strangers to you? Perhaps it is we, in our race to acquire more friends, more networks, more, more, more, that are abusing the system.

Arjun Rajkhowa said...

I think I am going to restrict this one person's access to my profile - you know this guy and he's been putting these comments that really irritate me, as if he's entitled to say anything he wants, even though we barely know each other. You'll laugh when you figure out who.

Furree Katt said...

ooh, I've come across people like these! I've made a few good friends this way, though. what's totally not nice is when sometimes certain girls turn out to be fake profiles made by guys. that's just cree-pay.

Arjun Rajkhowa said...

I'm not on facebook at the moment. It's one of those things. Reading this again makes me wonder why I got annoyed the way I did. I suppose I got carried away.