Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Salinger's For Esme - With Love and Squalour




Just finished Salinger's collection of short stories. I don't have much to say about it, except that it is frighteningly brilliant and exquisite. At the cost of being hyperbolic, I would say, for once, that if I did write, I'd want to be able to write stories like him. Or see humanity through his peculiarly jaundiced and beautifully sharp and unforgiving eyes.

Such an experience.

To think that I will now have to read Brecht's The Life of Galileo within the next two hours for tomorrow's tutorial.

2 comments:

Nandini Dutta said...

oh, i enjoyed 'for esme .....' when i was young.
glad to know some things don't change. love to you.

elbisivni said...

This book was hard to find but equally good to read. Salinger is a magician. He turns the most ordinary of words into strings of intellect and an array of interest.